Serving Rumson since 1879
On May 22, 1879, Oceanic Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was formed by a small group of citizens who were interested in the welfare and growth of the community. They met in a store on the corner of Washington and Hunt Streets in the village of Oceanic, now part of the borough of Rumson. Oceanic Hook and Ladder was one of the first fire companies in this area.
The Company held daily meetings in the backrooms of stores, coal offices, and occasionally, a chicken house. In 1882, Oceanic Hook and Ladder officially incorporated and purchased its first piece of property on First Street, which it traded two years later for the current location on the corner of River Road and Allen Street.
Shortly after the Company's incorporation, summer resident Matthew White presented Oceanic with its first piece of apparatus: a horse drawn vehicle with a manual ladder and rubber buckets. In July of 1898, the Company purchased a Howe Hand Pump, which remained in service until 1905, when a water supply system was laid down in town. In June of 1914, the Company received its first mechanized apparatus, a Boyd Pumper.
Currently, the station has two fire engine pumpers and a small satellite truck that support the Company in responding to fires, car accidents, and other emergencies.
For many Rumson residents, it has been a family tradition to serve in the Oceanic Hook and Ladder Company. Some of our current members are the children and grandchildren of Oceanic members from years past.
The volunteers of Oceanic Hook and Ladder provide many charitable events for the residents of Rumson, such as the Easter Egg Hunt in Victory Park and Lunch with Santa. The Company also supports our local schools, Pop Warner football team, Little League baseball, and recreation programs.
Our mission is to extinguish fire, protect life and property, and cooperate with the Borough of Rumson in civic improvements. The Company is proud to have served the people of Rumson for over 125 years.
1985 KME 1000 gallon pumper